Inflatable Rescue boats are an important part of beach patrols and water cover. Qualified lifesavers wishing to be part of IRB water safety (and competitions) need to successfully complete IRB awards. The Silver Medallion IRB Driver award is an award the club is constantly requiring more members to complete.
Suitable for members who have a current Bronze Medallion and IRB Crew Certificate. The Silver Medallion IRB Driver is an important part of every beach patrol.
- Members need to be a minimum of 17 years of age
- Hold a current Bronze Medallion and IRB Crew Certificate.
- Have a Boat Licence.
- Duties of an IRB Driver including safety considerations
- Provide direction and communicate to an IRB Crewperson
- Drive and safely launch IRB in all water enviroments (including surf)
- IRB motor safety, hazards, general maintenance
- Perform emergency procedures and patient rescues
Approximately 24-32 hours of training followed by a separate assessment.
Courses are generally conducted during winter months over 4 or 5 weekends.
Units of competency:
- PUAEQU001B Prepare, maintain and test response equipment
- PUASAR014A Operate and maintain a small powercraft and motor for rescue operations.
To remain current an annual proficiency update (approximately 1 hour) is required.